Traveler's Tips & Tools
|US Embassy Information:||US Consulate General Information:|
|via Vittorio Veneto 121||Piazza della Republica|
|00187 Rome, IT||80122 Naples, IT|
|Phone (switchboard): (+39) 06-46741||Phone (switchboard): (+39) 081.583.8111|
|Fax: (+39) 06-488.2672|
|website: italy.usembassy.gov||website: naples.usconsulate.gov|
|Emergency Services:||Emergency Services:|
|Monday - Friday 8:30am - 12:00pm||Monday - Friday 8:00am - 12:00pm|
Is your passport still good?
If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.
If your passport has already expired, you may still be able to renew your passport by mail. See How to Renew Your U.S. Passport.
Before your trip:
- Make two copies of your passport. Pack one in a separate bag from the original passport; give the other to a contact who can fax it to you in case of emergency.
- Write down your credit card/debit card numbers, including the phone numbers for their Customer Service, should you need them. Pack/store the information separately from the original cards, in case they are lost or stolen.
- Give your itinerary and contact information to a friend or family member.
- If you wear eyeglasses, take an extra pair with you. Pack medicines and extra eyeglasses in your hand luggage so they will be available in case your checked luggage is lost. To be extra secure, pack a backup supply of medicines and an additional pair of eyeglasses in your checked luggage.
- Check with your cell phone provider to find out requirements for phone calls/texts/email.
- Check out a translator app for your smart phone. A favorite is iHandy.
- Find out from your tour guide if an electrical converter/adapter will be required.
- Check out the US Government's tips for traveling abroad: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html.
- Read this before you go! Great article on Staying Healthy and Happy on long flights: http://www.today.com/id/41717532/ns/today-today_travel/t/tips-stay-healthy-happy-long-flights/#.Ulvf7FAjzGA
On the flight:
- Wear comfortable clothing. Especially on long flights, it's not uncommon to feel chilly on the plane. Bring a sweater or light jacket with you.
- Hydrate! Drink lots of water or electrolyte solutions (like Gatorade) on the flight.
- Move around! Walk up and down the aisles; flex and stretch your legs frequently.